05 April 2012

First Attempt at Cute Pinterest-Worthy Shit

I love to cook and bake and all that other stuff, hence becoming a chef.  I like to make things beautiful and appetizing, but it's kinda hard to make it really really really cute.  But I tried.

I made some cake pops in my Babycakes Cake Pop Maker (yay Santa), which was easy, because I just used some store mix with a little bit of red food color to make it pink.

Instead of using candy melts, which are both impossible and expensive, I made a simple Royal Icing (water + powder sugar + food color).  The blue came out perfect, the yellow was a bit too runny, and the orange was just a little bit more too runny.  I could have let them dry and double or triple dipped, but it was already like 11:30 pm and I just didn't want to be bothered.  I still think they look good!  I filled the cups with green coconut (dyed by moi); I put little marshmallows on for bunny ears, and it only occurred to me afterwards that I should have snipped them in half to look pointy like a real bunny.  Oh well!  This was my first attempt at cute pinterest-worthy shit, so I am pleased with how they turned out.  It's not like they're gonna last more than a second once they're in your mouth anyway! Hahaha =)

So, Lessons Learned:

  1. Thicken up the royal icing - thick enough to swirl around but not thin enough to drip off your spoon.
  2. Snip the marshmallows in half.
  3. Have camera empty and charged before starting a project, otherwise you'll have to use your phone set on retro cam and some pics won't develop all the way and some will just disappear.

Got these for $1 at Target!
Naked Balls
Balls in Icing
Coconut Grass
Yellow and Orange
Close-Up of Happy Bunny!
Blue Bunny, pink nose, purple sugar on yellow ball
Close up of three colors
Balls on skewers, drizzled w/icing, for babies only!
Pin that Shit!

No comments: