07 August 2006

Part one of two

I had a dream that SL and I were going to visit his friends, the O'Hara/O'Neal family (not real life friends.) They lived in Arizona (apparently we did too) and had about seven kids. We got there, and SL and I were hanging out with the two oldest sons, Zach and Ed. Zach decided we needed to go to KMart, so he and I headed over there while SL and Ed stayed home. Once at KMart, Zach changed his mind and we left, but as we were leaving, the shoplifting sensors went off. We knew it couldn't be because of us because we hadn't even walked any farther than the lobby area, so we kept walking. All of a sudden, these guards started walking towards us really fast, so we made a break for the van, and they chased us. Zach drove around the block and we came back, and went back in the store to prove that it wasn't us. We walked in, turned around, and walked out, only to set off the sensors again. This went on for hours, until finally I was like, "Listen, I should go in and pretend to buy something, and then realise I don't have any money in pocket, and tell the lady I'm going out to the car to grab my purse, and we can just drive away. It's the only way to keep this from happening." So we did just that, Zach waited outside while I went in empty-handed and picked out a birthday card. I got through the line, and then when the clerk was about to ring me up I told her I forgot my purse in the car, and could she please wait while I ran out to get it? She said she would, but that there would be a 1,000% finance charge. I told her no problem. I walked out of the KMart, got in the van, and we drove away with no problem. When we got home, SL and Ed were drunk and half passed out, so Zach and I sat up playing the guitar and singing.
The next morning, SL and I went back to our house (which is the house we live in in real life actually) and for some reason it took us all day to get home because it was dark when we finally got there. Right as we were walking in the door, my mom and GMaP showed up. GMaP opened the door, and Mickey ran out while some other fluffier orange cat ran in. I was like, "Whatever, a fourth cat won't be a problem" but when I got a look at the new guy he was all dirty and filthy and flea covered, so I threw him out the door and grabbed Mickey back in.
Fade to black, open next morning. SL and I are driving back to the O'Hara/O'Neal home, for some sort of party. When we get there the boys are outside playing football with some friends. There is a big dryer in the yard with a poster above it saying something about "Adam." It turns out that one of their friends died from a dryer that had malfunctioned, and he inhaled all this dryer lint and his lungs got clogged and he died. Whoever could throw a football in the dryer would win some money to be donated to a charity. The dream ended as SL and I were sitting on the grass and a wayward football flew past my head, I leaned to the side to avoid getting hit and SL just looked at it.

The next dream I had was that I was sitting in an auditorium wearing a green sweater. Not a big thick wool sweater, just a light sweater set. More of a sage than a green. I was sitting there waiting for the Richie Vallie concert to start, and I started reminiscing. I thought back to the 1960's when I had been married to Richie Vallie. I specifically thought of one day when I was out with my girlfriends from the neighborhood, and something wonderful had happened. We had gone to Elder-Beerman to buy new sweaters to celebrate and surprise our husbands. The four of us (me, Natalie, and two girls whose names I couldn't remember) pulled up to Natalie's house in her brand new Cadilllac, red and white with big fins on the back, and the husbands were outside drinking Pabst and waiting for us... except my husband. I showed off my sweater to everyone, and went home to put the children down for a nap and get ready for my husband. I was planning on surprising him with my new sweater and no panties under my 60's style conservative skirt. I was in the bathroom, sitting on the toilet, when he came in and opened the door. He looked pale and sick. I asked him what was wrong, and he said that someone he knew had died. I vaguely remember him saying who it was, but I couldn't focus. I tried to comfort him and suggested making love, but he just got angry and stormed out of the house, leaving me sobbing on the bathroom floor. I was still wearing my sweater set, and he hadn't even noticed.
Then I am back in the concert hall, and it's 2006, but I am still 24 years old. I am surrounded by all these people I know, that I have known for years. They are all people from my real life, from high school and work and things like that. The curtains go up and the lights go down, and Richie Vallie comes on stage. He's singing and dancing and he's really very old and worn down. He catched my eye, and stutters on a few lines. After the concert is over, there is a promotion guy on the stage tossing out passes to go backstage, coupons for stupid shit, etc. I catch a pass for Richie Vallie to perfom at my next birthday party, two backstage passes, and a coupon for popcorn. Everyone is leaving, and the backstage passes light up, indicating that it's time to go and get in line to meet Richie. I see him trying to sneak through the audience and he's headed my way. I am filled with elation. I start walking toward him, and stop short when I see him put his arm around a blonde girl that looks very familiar. I run up to him and try to kiss him, but I miss, and I say, "Richie, don't you want to kiss your own wife?!" to which he replies, "I know I missed but this is the girl I want to kiss. Meet Natalie." And it's Natalie from the neighborhood forty years ago, and I realise that they really were having an affair the whole time we lived there. I break down, collapsing in the aisle, and somehow someone drags me outside. It's Natalie's husband, he's older now too, and he takes me outside. He doesn't say a word, just hugs me, and leaves me with a crowd of my modern-day friends.
I never did find out how Natalie and I were in our 20's in the 60's and in 2006, but no one seemed confused by it.

No comments: