04 May 2007

Fun Times in the ER

So, for the last two weeks I've had this dull pain on my right side of my abdomen kinda by my hip. I chalked it up to stress, since work has been all fucked up. Well last night, I was chillin' in the basement, surfing the internet and such, drinkin' a few beers. I went to stand up and fell to my knees in severe pain. I thought my appendix had ruptured, so I called for BI but he was 2 floors up with his door closed and the TV on. I called 9-1-1 then, and they sent the squad over. I made my way slowly and painfully up to the living room to open the door for them. They checked me out and decided to take me to St. Ann's.
I called my parents when I got there, and they came down right away. The doctors/nurses worked on me pretty quickly, taking blood samples, doing a pelvic exam, and so forth. The EMS had hooked me up to an IV of saline solution and it was all slowly dripping into me. So then they're like, "Well we're gonna do a CT Scan, you have to drink this stuff." It was two cups (like a medium sized coffee type cup) of orange juice with some nuclear solution in it. That wasn't too bad, it just took me a long time because I had to drink one cup in 30 minutes, wait 30 minutes, then drink the next cup. I barely finished the last one and thankfully the CT Scan guy dumped out the last five-six sips cuz otherwise I would have yakked.
We headed down to the CT Scan room, and I was transferred to the special bed and then he stuck this thing up my bum and filled my intestines with nuclear fluid. I didn't feel violated so much because someone shoved something up my ass, but more because he was filling my intestines up and I could feel it and I could actually see my belly getting bigger. It was awful. Then he put this dye in my veins and it felt so fucking weird and gave me hot flashes all over my body and a weird taste in my mouth. It was probably the most excrutiating ten minutes of my life.
We went back to the room and I waited for about an hour for the actual doctor to come in. He said that my appendix was fine, but I had bleeding in my abdominal wall and an ovarian cyst. Not fun, but better than appendicitis cuz there is no surgery involved. Anyway, they gave me a prescription for Vicodin since there's nothing they can really do. Apparently when my period comes next the cyst will most likely rupture and everything will be fine. Til then, it's big pain for the Kel-Bell.

Here's my arm.

Here's my other arm.

Here's me!

Here's my blood that the EMT so carelessly let leak out of my arm.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Geez girl! Take care of yourself, ovarian cysts suck the big one. I had one burst once and I was laying on the floor panting and sobbing and praying to die. Um, but I'm sure yours won't be that bad!

K said...

Yeah, that's what Dr. Dixon of the ER said would happen. He's like "Oh it will rupture, you'll be in pain, but only for a little while."
I'm like "GREAT!"
Damn doctors.