22 January 2006

Dreams about Moving

Thursday night I had a dream that SL lived with me, and he moved back to Florida and left me because I was still married. In that same dream I drove to my parents' house for consolation and they weren't there, but there was a for sale sign in their yard.

Last night I had a dream that my parents moved to Dayton. I moved too, to a house in Upper Arlington. They were cleaning out their house and packing, and threw away our dog (we never had a dog but did in the dream) and a bunch of my childhood toys and stuff. I don't know where SK was but he didn't live with them. I tried to save all my stuff and take it with me, but my mom wouldn't let me. They gave me a tree, which they planted in my front yard, but I didn't want it because the leaves were fake and spray painted ugly colors. I was alone unpacking my stuff in my new house, and all these people showed up, telling me that they were squatters and didn't know anyone had moved in. One of them was Jack from "Will and Grace". He was hopping everywhere and doing Jazz hands. My mom called to see how I was doing and I was crying on the phone to her about how awful it was.

1 comment:

Normlr said...

When analyzing dreams, there's a theory you can take that you are everyone in your dream. Let's pick this apart, shall we?

How would you view yourself through SL's eyes? Is there a part of you that's fed up and consequently not so prevalent anymore? Do your parents still play an active role in your emotional support? If so, assuming you are your parents in the dream, have you cut a part of yourself off, or turned it off? Maybe by not giving yourself enough credit? I sense a theme here....

In the second dream you said that you and your parents moved, signifying a change in your life. Think of what it means for you to assume the role of your parents and "clean house" - getting rid of all your old emotional attachments (dogs, toys, etc). Then think of the part of you that's desperately trying to hold on to them. By not letting go you are "rewarded" with a tree. A fake ugly tree that you don't really want, but take anyways. And it's in front of the house for everyone to see.

Now you're left alone in this house and suddenly all these squatters move in. If they were all you, could they represent other baggage that hasn't been let go of too?

Think about how you view the character of Jack. Could it have been a silly side of you trying to break out and have some fun? How did the other squatters (you) react to this outlandish behaviour? Do you look down on yourself for having a good time?

I think the telephone call represents the side of you that's ready to move on checking in with the other half who's not. And that half is currently unhappy with the crowded house and fake tree.

Just because you're still technically married doesn't mean you can't pack up and move to Dayton leaving everything else behind.

Just my 2 cents.