09 January 2006

Lazy Alcoholic Homosexual IV *or* The Wind Beneath My Wings

So it had gotten to the point where MMA and I are fighting every night. We fought over stupid shit, like who got the last beer, and we fought over totally ridiculous shit, like the Arab furniture entities that my former co-worker Trillia said were haunting our house. MMA constantly accused me of being crazy. I was crazy because I freaked out when we were in BFE Canada and had no Canadian money. I was crazy because I took Prozac. I was crazy because I took birth control pills. Anything I did that he didn't like or agree with or had never experienced, was crazy. We would start drinking, and get into these stupid song wars. We sat in the basement and listened to songs, and then a fight would ensue. He'd take off his wedding ring and tell me he was going to leave me (later he called this practice "tough love".) He would play a song telling me why. I would play one back. It would go on for hours. Sometimes I would try to break the anger by playing a nicer song, to try to make up. One night I made the mistake of playing "Wind Beneath My Wings."
That song was my thought of Megan. She was always there for me, always supporting me, but never asked for anything in return. I cried when the song was playing, and I called her to apologize for being such a bitch when MMA and I had been in Michigan. This pissed MMA off. He started screaming at me, telling me that this was the proof that she and I had been lovers. He even called his sister and brother and his step-father to tell them that he had heard the truth. I tried to explain to him what it really meant, but of course he wouldn't listen. It escalated into a huge fight and I think that was the first of thirteen times in the course of one year that I had to call the CPD to come to my house. He tackled me in the bedroom when I was trying to get away from him, and beat me on my back with the phone, unaware that 9-1-1 was on the line. They showed up and told us to stay away from each other, but didn't do anything else about it.

I can't listen to that song anymore without tearing up. It used to be one of my favorites.

No comments: